2 Mental Health Issues That Affect Young Children – Child Therapist Wooster, OH
Angela Earley September 20, 2023
Child Therapist Wooster, OH
Young children can have anxiety and it can be visible through their behaviors. Below are common signs of anxiety:
- Has significant difficulty sleeping, frequent night waking, bad dreams, and/or night terrors
- Expresses frequent fears and worries around various activities (e.g., going outside, going to child care) or specific things (e.g., spiders, elevators, dogs).
- Displays a short fuse with strong emotions—doesn’t have space between an upset and a full-blown tantrum
- Is clingy and fussy beyond what seems typical for their age
Young children can and do experience depression. Below are common signs of depression in children:
- Lack of enjoyment in common activities
- Sad and unresponsive facial expressions
- Listless body posture
- Slower physical mannerisms
- Irritable and fussy
- Trouble eating and sleeping
- Unexplained physical aches and pains
3) Look for Signs and Ask for Help
If you observe any of the signs of anxiety or depression in your child's behavior, speak with a healthcare professional to discuss advice and potential treatment choices. Consider seeking assistance from a mental health expert who specializes in working with young children.
If your child is struggling with anxiety or depression, I can help.
Learn more about how you can spot the signs of anxiety or depression in you child and how to get help.
Mommy Bites. “https://mommybites.com/col1/baby/mental-health-issues-that-affect-young-children/". May 30, 2023.
Since 2012, Angela has been assessing clients and successfully guiding trauma treatment in her private practice using the NeuroSequential Model of Therapeutics (NMT) developed by Dr. Bruce Perry of the Child Trauma Academy. In addition, Angela has been invited to consult on multiple regional cases involving highly challenging special needs children.